This image and recipe are courtesy of Sainsburys.co.uk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8-12 pork sausages
- 80g bacon lardons or cubed pancetta, or chopped bacon (optional)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml fresh chicken broth or stock
- 1 tsp dried marjoram or dried thyme
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 x 400g tins cannellini or haricot beans, rinsed and drained
For the quick pickled cabbage (optional)
- ½ small red cabbage (about 400g), very finely shredded
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- If making the pickled cabbage, put the cabbage in a bowl, add the vinegar and a large pinch of salt. Use your hands to gently massage the vinegar into the cabbage, then set aside.
- Melt half the ghee or butter in a casserole over a medium-high heat. Fry the sausages, turning occasionally, until browned, then set aside. Fry the bacon, if using, in the same pan for 2-3 minutes until lightly coloured, then set aside.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the remaining ghee or butter until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Return the sausages and bacon to the pan. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans, season and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the beans are tender.
- Mix most of the dill into the cabbage just before serving. Remove the bay leaves from the stew and divide it between bowls. Top with the cabbage and an extra sprinkling of dill.