This image and recipe are courtesy of Waitrose.com
- Preparation time:10 minutes
- Cooking time:1 hour
- Total time:1 hour 10 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
Knob butter, plus extra for greasing
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
125g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
175g cooked brown rice
115g fresh brown breadcrumbs
55g almonds, finely chopped
55g brazil nuts, finely chopped
125g vegetarian Cheddar cheese, grated
2 medium eggs, beaten
1tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp salt
1-2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin with butter.
- Warm the butter in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion, carrots, garlic and fry gently for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for a further 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Remove from the heat leave to cool for a couple of minutes, then stir in all the remaining ingredients.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and cook for 1 hour or until browned and firm. Cover with foil towards the end of cooking if it becomes too dark in colour. Serve hot or cold with all the Christmas trimmings, or at other times of the year with fresh tomato sauce.