This month we talked to Patience Ogunbona, Ashford Mumpreneur who is a Transformational Coach, Author, Business Trainer and Speaker and runs Aspire-Transform-Inspire (ATI).
- What made you start up as a Mumpreneur? – The desire for freedom, to own my destiny, design my life, do what I love, inspire and empower other women and eventually provide employment and livelihood opportunities for many.
- What have you most enjoyed about being a Mumpreneur so far? The results of coming along side people and helping them achieve their life and business goals. How I get messages from people I haven’t met who say I inspire them to be the best. And the travelling and meeting lots of people across the world, building relationships.
- What is the main challenge you’ve faced as a Mumpreneur? The shift in mindset from being an employee to entrepreneur does not happen overnight and can be a shock to the system. Having to be responsible for everything that comes out of your stables as well as represent and create your own brand, requires courage and learning a lot of news skills. The juggling of business and family life somehow gets more intense. Your home is now also your work place, therefore setting things up well and finding ways of creating boundaries is key. Becoming an entrepreneur will challenge your family bond.
- What, if anything, would you have done differently? Everything I have done has made me who I am today. I have learnt from my mistakes along the way, one key thing that was a huge benefit, is starting to learning what I needed to do while still working my 9-5, and not just taking a leap into the unknown. This truly has made a difference to helping me settle and build the right foundations for my business. But the key thing mistake I learnt from earlier on, was trusting people too quickly for the answers without looking at their value system carefully. When you get desperate, bad people smell a victim from a distance and take advantage of you.
- What key piece of advice would you give to anyone thinking of taking the plunge? Be sure to do your research and plan before taking the plunge, most especially on the finance side. In most instances, replacing your old income from your new business, will take time and many business when started from scratch require lots of investment. If you are not prepared and don’t have a safety net , you will get desperate, and can give up all together.
- Is there anything else you’d like to add? As a coach who also does business training, I have learnt that, time and time again when people don’t grow themselves and work on their personal development and mindset, they are unlikely to make progress in business or build a successful business. It is also important to remember that success can take time to accomplish, being patient to lay the right foundations and learn what is required, will serve you in future. Give yourself grace when you fail or make mistakes. Don’t operate in isolation, make sure to network and learn from others, ask questions seek help. Where possible always collaborate with others “a burden shared is a burden halved”. Know and maintain your values and brand identity. It will serve you well.
ATI is a dynamic Coaching and Training business founded in 2017 although fully launched out in 2018. Their motto is “enabling transformation through awareness and action”. The founder Patience Ogunbona is a Certified John Maxwell Coach and Behavioural Analyst whose passion is seeing women become the best of themselves and achieve full potential. Services provided by ATI include:
- 1-2-1 and group coaching,
- Signature personal development and business workshops, ( Build Your Dream and Smart Business Bootcamp, LEAP Women’s Breakthrough conference)
- Online training programmes and resources and
- Mastermind group facilitations.
- Keynote speeches
Their ideal clients are: Aspiring entrepreneurs and start ups (mainly women) seeking to clarify their life goals and business ideas, and to gain confidence, tools and strategies to build solid foundations for growth and success.
ATI offer 20 Minute Free Discovery Sessions for anyone looking to discuss their current pain points and find solutions for growing their business – see here for more information.
Mums in Ashford – supporting, celebrating and inspiring local mumpreneurs